Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fondant

I've been making my own, which is actually fairly easy to do. It's a combo of marshmallows, a bit of water, a bit of vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. I know that most people seem to love the smooth look of fondant, but aren't too fond of the way it taste. I really like the way this one taste. I have used some of the Wilton ready made fondant to make figures. I've used gumpaste for that as well. I figure the figures won't be eaten, even though they could be! That fondant does not taste the best, but it hardens really well. The marshmallow fondant tends to be softer. I do make sure to put plenty of buttercream inside the cake for those that aren't big on eating fondant. Feel free to peel it off, won't offend me! (I've even done that before, haha!) I've put a large amount of buttercream on the outside of cakes as well, but as I go along from cake to cake I find that a thinner layer of buttercream on the outside of the cake works better when using fondant. It's easier to get a nice smoother finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment